Microgrids have historically been popular in remote areas like islands that are without access to a national electricity transmission network. Substantial cost reductions in solar PV and lithium-ion batteries are enabling clean energy microgrids to be built in cities.
Planet Ark Power is able to create a grid-connected microgrid. This enables major benefits including:
- Economics are much improved through the ability to trade the spot market and engage in Frequency Control Ancillary Services (FCAS).
- Improves grid security and stability by enabling participation in FCAS. With AEMO and state governments, like SA, encouraging distributed energy sources.
- Enables the unlocking of other income streams from the connection of onsite diesel or gas generators that would otherwise be idle and only used for backup.
- Provides the site with cheaper, cleaner power, at zero marginal cost, unlike other energy sources such as gas.
- Power security through islanding capability as the battery and the solar can come on to power the site almost instantly ensuring no loss of power continuity